Friday, October 18, 2013

Please explain this quote from "Blood Relations: "Brothers and sisters have I none, but that man's father is my father's son."Who is that man?

We can solve this problem algebraically with the following:


Assume you are generation 5, and 'that man' is generation 'x'.


We have: 'that man's father is my father's son'


When we have a father, we go down one generation, and when we have a son, we go up one.


Therefore,        X-1           =     5-1+1


X-1           =     5


X              =     6


Since we are generation 5, and that man is generation 6, that man is one generation later, and is therefore my son.



Or, if you're not into math:


That man's father is (my father's son)


That man's father is (me)


Therefore, that man must be my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...