Friday, October 25, 2013

In "Wuthering Heights", what is Lockwood's relationship to Heathcliff?

Lockwood is no more than a tenant to Heathcliff renting Thrushcross Grange for the summer time.  In the first chapter of Wuthering Heights Lockwood talks about going and making the owner, Heathcliff, his acquaintance since he will be staying there.



‘Mr. Lockwood, your new tenant, sir. I do myself the honour of calling as soon as possible after my arrival, to express the hope that I have not inconvenienced you by my perseverance in soliciting the occupation of Thrushcross Grange: I heard yesterday you had had some thoughts—’ Chapter 1



The only reason Lockwood begins to learn things about Heathcliff is because he complained to Nelly and Nelly tells him about how Heathcliff became what he is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...