Monday, April 21, 2014

Will a 12x18x2 cake with a 10-inch square cake on top serve 100 people?Thank you. This is a groom's cake I am baking.

Great topic--I love cake and I love to bake!!

I am assuming that your 12x18x2 implies 12 inches wide by 18 inches long by 2 inches deep. I will also assume that the 10 inch by 10 inch cake is 2 inches deep which would be standard when baking a cake.

For the larger cake if you multiplied 12 x 18 you would get an area of 216 square inches. For the smaller cake on top if you multiplied 10 x 10 you would have an area of 100 square inches.

If you cut each piece of cake into a 2 inch by 2 inch square piece, each piece would have an area of 4 square inches. So divide 216 by 4 and you get 54 pieces. Then if you divide 100 by 4 you get 25 pieces. 54 pieces + 25 pieces equals only 79 pieces.

Personally, I like cake and if you measure out anything smaller that 2 inches by 2 inches for a piece of cake it really gives you such small pieces that is not more than a bite or two of cake.

It is my opinion that you would not be able to get 100 pieces of cake worthy of serving at a wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...