Friday, April 18, 2014

Why can't we exceed the speed of light?

hmmm....  Admitedly, I am much more a metaphysician and philosopher, but, I am an avid lover of science.  Physics, quantum physics, and time in particular.  So...  If I may, knowing I risk being totally destroyed by others with more informed minds and opinions/facts on the matter, I'd like to throw in my two cents.


I would posit a few "devil's advocate" ideas in terms of playing the part of the uninformed.  After all, it is only the posits of the uninfomred mind that lead us to become informed.  (Had Einstein never suggested that time may not be the most constant entity in the universe, we would have had a much more laborious and drawn-out discovery of relativity, if ever.  Or more simply, had Columbus never mistakenly thought himself to discover India when in reality he stumbled upon North America, we would be uninformed of the proper nomenclature of native American's and native Indians.)


I recently checked out a book called "Faster Than The Speed of Light" by Joao Magueijo.  He is, frankly, quite brilliant in my opinion.  He suggests the possiblity that light (the constant, or "c" in E=MC squared) may have traveled faster than 186,000 miles per second at some point in the past.  The implications are incredible.  It has a profound influence on the development of the universe and other cosmological considerations.  I have not finished the book yet, so I'll stop short of speculating on theories I have not studied fully as of yet.  However, I think he has quite a lot of merit to some of his theories.  It is called, VSL. (Varrying Speed of Light theory)  It does not neccasarily stop with the notion of "c" being greater in the past.  It is possible that "c" can be manipulated even now in the scientific world, and the possibility of such happening in it's own "natural" way is not so far-fetched in my way of thinking.  If light itself is capable, albeit by the possible virtue of actually having uniquely different properties than light as we are able to observe it today, of exceeding the constant we all know and love, then via relativity, some manner of warping time, or, more accurately, dilating time to the extent of moving backwards through it, or stopping it all together, would certainly be a reality in the universe. 


This could suggest the possibility of interdimensional activty with possible different universes, (if you beleive in that) that we are incapable of witnessing, at least at present, but see the effects of on a daily basis in that it serves the universe a purpose in keeping the fabric of our "taken for granted" reality sewn together by whatever higher function the mechanics therein may serve.   OR, it could suggest the possiblity of tachyon influence, or presence in the universe as being something real and somehow avoiding the crime of violating the theory of relativty and other conventions of physics that all entities in the universe are supposed to adhere to. 


I, for one, have always been a bit on the absurd side when it comes to considering some of these things.  I obey the rules, for the most part, because they are what they are, and more often than not, they are true and real.  I subscribe to the laws and theories and formulae of modern physics, but I like to play with them on a philosophical level because it entertains my mind and makes for most excellent science fiction.  ( I write science fiction.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...