Monday, April 13, 2015

What are some quotes from Frankenstein said by The Creature showing his view of the natural world?

The Creature takes over the narrative voice, in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, in chapters eleven through sixteen. Given his recent "birth," the Creature is relatively inexperienced. Although he learns rather quickly (which could be the result of the matured brain used to complete his creation), the Creature's beginning is a new experience for him. That said, his first real experiences with the world are with those which are natural.


The Creature's first experience with nature is seen when he opens his eyes. The light of the sun hurts him so badly that he must close his eyes--which then makes him troubled.



"By degrees, I remember, a stronger light pressed upon my nerves, so that I was obliged to shut my eyes. Darkness then came over me, and troubled me."



Initially, the natural elements around him were extremely oppressive.



"The light became more and more oppressive to me; and, the heat wearying me as I walked."



After the sun set, the Creature understood cold, fear, and alone.



“It was dark when I awoke; I felt cold also, and half frightened, as it were instinctively, finding myself so desolate."



Later, after the sun rose again, the Creature understood the pleasure which nature could bring.



"Soon a gentle light stole over the heavens, and gave me a sensation of pleasure."



The Creature continues to describe how he felt about nature as chapter eleven continued. Not only does the moon bring the Creature pleasure, the "pleasant sounds" of the birds, the"radiant roof of light" and the streams brought him pleasure.


The prevalent theme of science versus nature, Victor representing science and the Creature representing nature, proves that the Creature is more in-tune with the natural world. A few times in the novel, the Creature states that he will be fine living in the icy mountain bounds of the earth. It is his acceptance that he belongs with nature, given his alienation by mankind, which proves his positive view of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...