Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What was the importance of the supernatural in "Macbeth" to King James I of England?im doing an essay in which im supposed to discuss the role of...

Shakespeare often wrote plays with characters and themes that compliment the present monarch--Elizabeth I and James I, respectively.  In the case of Macbeth, it was written specifically for King James I in honor of a visit to England by his family from Scotland.  Banquo, the quintessential "good" guy in the play, is meant to represent James I.  The witches give Banquo pleasant prophecies throughout the play.  First, they tell him he is not as happy as Macbeth, but happier; that he would not ever be King, but that his son and his sons and so on would be King.  In the apparitions, a King comes along which looks like Banquo holding a mirror to show an endless line of Kings who also look like Banquo.  James I is supposedly one of those in the long line of Kings descended from this good and honest man. Go back to the prophecies in Act I and also the apparitions to find your quotes and your answers.  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...