Monday, July 27, 2015

What are examples of figurative language in the song lyrics "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz?

Figurative Language


Simile:  a figure of speech in which one thing is explicitly compared to another, as in “she is like a rose.”


Metaphor: a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “I am a rock, I am an island” meaning I can not be harmed and I am independent


Onomatopoeia: the formation of a word, as cuckoo,  boom, buzz, zip, bang by imitation of a sound made by or associated with its referent.


Personification: the attribution of a personal nature or character to inanimate objects or abstract notions  Example: The sun opened its sleepy eyes and smiled down on the Earth as a new day began.


Oxymoron, n. A figure of speech in which a pair of opposite or contradictory terms are used together for emphasis. Example: Organized chaos, a wise fool


Paradox, n. A statement or proposition which is self-contradictory, unreasonable, or illogical. Example: There is no absolute truth.


Hyperbole, n. A figure of speech which uses an extravagant or exaggerated statement to express strong feelings. Example: I’ve told you millions of times to go away.


Extended Metaphor, n. A metaphor that is continued over multiple sentences.[8]Example: Suzie is a beautiful young flowering girl. Her cheeks are flush with the spring of life. She has the fragrance of youth about her.


EXAMPLES IN I'M YOURS LYRICS


I tried to be chill but your so hot that I melted This is a metaphore because he describes himself as ice and his lover as fire.  If he had said “it was as if I melted” then it would be a simile, not a metaphore.



I fell right through the cracks is a metaphore.  It isn’t litterarly true.



and nothin's gonna stop me but divine intervention This is hyperbole.  It probably would take something less than God’s intervention to make him change his mind about her. 


Well open up your mind and see like me
open up your plans and damn you're free 
look into your heart and you'll find love love love love

These three are metaphors.  You can not literary open your mind, but you can consider new points of vies.  You can’t look inside your heart, but you can be aware of your feelings.



checkin' my tongue in the mirror . I don’t know what he means by this, but I don’t think he actually does this in a real mirror, so it’s a metaphore.



and bendin' over backwards metaphore meaning he’s going against his own nature doing things he would never do just to please her.




I've been spendin' way too long checkin' my tongue in the mirror
and bendin' over backwards just to try to see it clearer 
But my breath fogged up the glass 
and so I drew a new face and I laughed

This is an extended metaphore where looking in a  mirror has something to do with trying to express how he feels about her.



just go with the seasons metaphore, be in tune with what is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...