Thursday, July 30, 2015

How do I use the words to, too, and two?

To teach the differences between to, two, and too; I like to come up with sentences using all three.


I am too busy with my two children to answer your question.


It is too early to have two sodas to drink.


Now let's review what these words actually mean.



Too- This form of the word can mean excessively, very, or additionally. It is an adverb.


"Don't stand too close to the fire." 


Two- This is the number 2.


"I have two fireplaces at home, so I know not to stand near the fire."


To- This is a preposition, or something that describes a location or direction. It can also describe a movement or a point in time. It can also act as part of an infinitive verb as in "to stand" in "going to stand."


"I'm going to stand near the door instead of near the fireplace."


To can also be an adverb. This can describe an action or a state of unconsciousness.


"I stood too close and I passed out. When I came to, I was embarrassed." ( "Came to" means that you woke up from being unconscious")

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...