Sunday, December 14, 2014

Alright, So I need to find 3 epithets in "The Odyssey" Book IX. Can someone please help me?I'm having a really hard time understanding what an...

According to the Webster Dictionary and epithet is: “a characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of the name of a person or thing; b: a disparaging or abusive word or phrase There are epithets that Homer used on the basis of how many syllables he needs for the meter Some examples  from book nine are:

“Soon as Aurora, daughter of the dawn,"


“From Maron, offspring of Evanthes, priest"


“My vessel, Neptune, Shaker of the shores,
At yonder utmost promontory dash’d
In pieces, hurling her against the rocks
With winds that blew right thither from the sea,
And I, with these alone, escaped alive.”

I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...