Wednesday, December 10, 2014

What does the spirit show Scrooge when he asks to "see some tenderness connected with a death"?

When Scrooge asks the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come for a little tenderness connected with this man's death, he is shown the Cratchit family. There is an emptiness in the family now, a chair in a corner that is empty.  This family is mourning the loss of their child and brother, Tiny Tim.  Bob Cratchit comes home from work.



" 'Yes, my dear,' returned Bob. 'I wish you could have gone. It would have done you good to see how green a place it is. But you'll see it often. I promised him that I would walk there on a Sunday. My little, little child!' cried Bob. 'My little child!'" (Dickens)  



Scrooge is shown the suffering of another, the family of his clerk, Bob Cratchit.  Although this family is suffering with grief, they are still together as a family and have each other for comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...