Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In Romeo an Juliet, what are three ways in which Romeo shows love and passion to Juliet?

Since Romeo's nature is passionate, he displays this emotion throughout the play.  Three salient instances are


  1. When Romeo first sees Juliet, he is passionately struck by her beauty:  "Oh, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!...Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear! (I,v,(41-44).

  2. When Romeo approaches Juliet and speaks to her with passionate love:  "If I profane my unworthiest hand/...My lips, two blushing pilgrims, read stand/To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss (I,v,86-91)

  3. When Romeo steals into the Capulet's orchard and stands beneath Juliet's balcony he expresses his love:  "See how she leans her cheek upon her hand!/Oh, that I were a glove upon that hand/That I might touch that cheek!" (II,ii,21-23).  Then, Juliet appears and he declares his love to her: "Lady, by yonder blessed moon I swear [my love],/That tip with silver all these fruit-tree tops--(II,ii,107-108).



No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...