Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What were the 1940s fashion fads?

I can tell you from personal experience, because I wore my mother’s wedding dress! The dress – from the early ‘40s – had padded shoulders. Since I have broad shoulders, I had the pads removed!  :-)

Of course, fashion was greatly affected by the fact that we were in the middle of World War II and many fabrics and accessories were either scarce or completely unavailable. For example, silk and nylon were scarce because they were used to make parachutes. As a result, many women drew lines up the backs of their legs since they couldn’t get the seamed nylons of the day.

Read this site for lots and lots of details!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...