Thursday, February 16, 2012

What are five quotations of the nature of dreams and the dream farm in "Of Mice and Men"?

The theme of "unfulfilled dreams" is ever-present in Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and is reflected in many of his characters.

P.74 Crooks " I seen hundreds of men come by on the road an' on the ranches, with their bindles on their back an' that same damn thing in their heads . . . every damn one of 'em's got a little piece of land in his head. An' never a God damn one of 'em ever gets it. Just like heaven. Ever'body wants a little piece of lan'. I read plenty of books out here. Nobody never gets to heaven, and nobody gets no land."

P.61  George “S'pose they was a carnival or a circus come to town, or a ball game, or any damn thing.” Old Candy nodded in appreciation of the idea. “We'd just go to her,” George said. “We wouldn't ask nobody if we could. Jus' say, 'We'll go to her,' an' we would. Jus' milk the cow and sling some grain to the chickens an' go to her.”

p.14 George "O.K. Someday - we're gonna get the jack together and we're gonna have a little house and a couple of acres an' a cow and some pigs and -"

P.88 Curley's Wife "Seems like none of them cares how I gotta live. I tell you I ain't used to livin' like this. I coulda made something of myself.' She said darkly, 'maybe I will yet."

p. 60 Candy "Maybe if I give you guys my money, you'll let me hoe in the garden even after I ain't no good at it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...