Saturday, August 30, 2014

In "Hamlet", when does Claudius admit he is guilty during prayer?

Yes - it's the first moment that the audience can be sure that Claudius is in fact guilty, and that the ghost (even if not the spirit of Hamlet's father) is honest. Until then, nothing has been certain.

O, my offence is rank, it smells to heaven;
It hath the primal eldest curse upon't,
A brother's murder! Pray can I not,
Though inclination be as sharp as will;
My stronger guilt defeats my strong intent,
And, like a man to double business bound,
I stand in pause where I shall first begin,
And both neglect. What if this cursed hand
Were thicker than itself with brother's blood
,
Is there not rain enough in the sweet heavens
To wash it white as snow?

No ambiguity there! Hope it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...