Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Does Jem die in To Kill a Mockingbird?

In To Kill a Mockingbird, Jem does not die at the end of the book. Jem and Scout came close to death at the hands of Bob Ewell, but thanks to Boo, they lived to tell the story of what happened. During the course of the book, Jem and Scout learn the most valuable lessons anyone could learn. At the end of the book, after Scout walks Boo home, she thinks about all she and Jem had learned and realizes that the two of them can no longer be the innocent young kids they once were. In essence their childhood and innocence dies in the book.



The street lights were fuzzy from the fine rain that was falling. As I made my way home, I felt very old, but when I looked at the tip of my nose I could see fine misty beads, but looking cross-eyed made me dizzy so I quit. As I made my way home, I thought what a thing to tell Jem tomorrow. He'd be so mad he missed it he wouldn't speak to me for days. As I made my way home, I thought Jem and I would get grown but there wasn't much else left for us to learn, except possibly algebra.



We know by the way Scout is talking that Jem will live through the terrible ordeal, and she had so many things to tell him. As she gets home, Atticus is in Jem's room reading a book. The last lines in the book tells us that by the next morning Jem will be awake and Atticus will be there when that happens.



He turned out the light and went into Jem's room. He would be there all night, and he would be there when Jem waked up in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...