Monday, April 23, 2012

In Hamlet, who played the part of Julius Caesar when acting at the university?

In Act III, scene 2, Hamlet has a brief conversation with Polonius just after everyone comes in to watch the play Hamlet has arranged.  Hamlet is in a good mood and feeling witty, since he expects to find out whether Claudius is guilty of killing his father.



Hamlet: [To Polonius] My lord, you played once i' the university, you say?


Polonius: That did I, my lord, and was accounted a good actor.


Hamlet: What did you enact?


Polonius: I did enact Julius Caesar: I was killed i' the Capitol; Brutus killed me.


Hamlet: It was a brute part of him to kill so capital a calf there.



So, Polonius is the one who played Julius Caesar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...