Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Why is Scout in trouble with the teacher the first day of school?

Scout begins school ready to learn new and exciting things.  The first day however she runs up against a teacher who is not at all flexible, is new at her job, and just doesn't know how to handle this group of students.  The teacher writes the alphabet on the chalk board.  She calls on Scout to read the letters.  Scout tells the reader:

"as I read the alphabet a faint line appeared between her eyebrows, and after making me read ost of "My First Reader," and the stock-market qquotations from "The Mobile Register" aloud, she discovered that I was literate and looked at me with more than a faint distaste.  Miss Caroline told me to tell my father not t o teach me any more, it would interfere with my reading."

The second incident is when Scout jumps into a conversation that Miss Fisher is dealing with Walter.  Miss Fisher takes offense to what Scout is saying and smacks her hand. 

"Miss Caroline tells Jean Louise that she has had enough of her, spanks her hand with a ruler, and threatens the class. The conflict reaches a climax when the sixth-grade teacher comes in and personally reprimands the whole class because they are too noisy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...