Friday, May 15, 2015

How do I start an essay about my chlidhood?

Even with an essay, you want to grab the reader’s attention right away. You do need to honor the structure. The first paragraph needs to contain your topic sentence and generally introduce the essay. However, there is NO reason why you can’t start with something catchy.


Think about interesting or unusual angles on your childhood. Even if you can’t think of anything you find interesting (most of us think our childhoods were ‘normal’) you can express it in an interesting way. For example:



There was only one dog on our street, and it had to be mine.


This I have never seen before!” the doctor said as he pulled 5 peanuts from my nose.


As the youngest in my family, I was the guinea pig for all my siblings’ experiments.


The light filtered dimly through the leaves, casting shifting patterns across the pages of my life.



You get the idea. A great first sentence will both catch the reader’s attention AND get you thinking about interesting ways to tell your tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...