Sunday, January 25, 2015

How does Helen Burns bear her punishment in "Jane Eyre"?

Although Jane is embarrassed and angry over being punished, Helen takes her punishment and tells Jane she "thinks too much of the love of human beings." Helen is the true Christian martyr, who forgive people who abuse her and constantly tries to live Christ's words. Jane, however, has too much of a fiery nature to act like Helen. When she is dying as a result of the poor conditions at Lowood, she does not complain. In fact, she says she has no fear."I believe God is good; I can resign my immortal part to Him without any misgiving. God is my father; God is my friend: I love Him; I believe He loves me.” Most critics believe that the character of Helen was based on Charlotte Bronte's younger sister who died of typhus at a very young age.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...