Thursday, September 11, 2014

In Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, after returning from Miss Havisham's, what opinion of himself does Pip share with Joe?

When Pip returns from Miss Havisham's house, and after having been ridiculed by Estella for his "coarse hands" and "thick boots," Pip expresses his sudden displeasure with his own recently-discovered commonness:



I told Joe...that there had been a beautiful young lady at Miss Havisham's who was dreadfully proud, and that she said I was common, and that I knew I was common, and that I wished I was not common, and that the lies had come out of it somehow, though I didn't know how.



In response, Joe tells Pip that while he might fit Estella's definition of "common," Pip is "oncommon" in other ways, and Joe reminds Pip that he knows how to read. 


Despite Joe's attempts to cheer Pip up, Pip thinks, sadly, "how common Estella would consider Joe, a mere blacksmith," and notes that this one visit to Miss Havisham's completely changes the course of Pip's life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...