Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What 5 quotes from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn show the theme of Huck vs. his conscience?

Twain wrote, "a sound heart is a surer guide than an ill-trained conscience."


Ch 3 Miss Watson, a slave owner, tells Huck if he prays he will get anything, but he does not receive the fish hooks he prays for. When asked why, Miss Watson says he "was a fool...." I couldn't make it out no way." Huck is in moral conflict with received values.


Ch 8 After running away, Huck discovers Jim, helps him knowing it is wrong. "All right then, I'll just go to hell" he decides.


Ch 13 Huck and Jim board a wrecked steamboat for provisions finding two thieves tied to the deck. Although they are criminals, Huck says,"my conscience got to stirring," so he alerts the watchman. "I couldn't rest easy till I could see the ferryboat start."


Ch 16 Current separates Jim and Huck who calls in vain, but takes a "cat nap." A tearful Jim finds Huck who lies to cover up his negligence. Jim tells him only "trash" lies; "It was 15 minutes before I could work myself up to go and humble myself to a nigger--but I done it."


Ch 23 When the Duke and King sell off Jim as a slave, Huck pretends, "It's a good job they got him." He wrestles with his conscience, "it would be...better for Jim to be a slave at home where his family was...," but he lies-"I was playing double"-that he will write Mrs. Watson. But, when he and Jim are together, he can not "harden me against him."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...