Friday, July 27, 2012

What does this line mean? "then i'll be brief! oh, happy dagger, this is thy sheath. there rust and let me die."

I confess that I am no expert, but playing Lord Capulet recently (for those not familiar, Lord C. is Juliet's father) with dreams of directing one day, I took a quite some interest in this and other notable lines.  My own theory is this:

Juliet's descent to suicide begins with her discovery that Romeo's lips are warm; she has missed him by mere minutes.  This is Fate's ultimate blow in a long series of blows.  Immediately she hears the watch, signifying the return of life and the world as usual, though without him, but worse, a return to those whose obstinate insistence on perpetuating the feud put them there.  I believe her grief turns to rage, something most productions I've seen seem to miss.  (Olivia Hussey captures this very well in Zeffirelli's movie.)  She would as soon lash out at those whom she sees as the real villains, but lacking that option, she directs the rage in the only direction she can--to herself, intent on punishing them through the discovery of her in death. This is consistent with the nature of suicidality.

Rust is the death of the metal, and an undistinguished one. In her state of mind she may choose to see it as even ignominious. Befriending this instrument of death, she pronounces such a death for herself, thus vicariously, for those she feels truly deserve their own.

I invite any comments on this theory.

(For me, this is unquestionably the most heart-rending line in all of theatre, by which I include print and film.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...