Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What examples of personification are found in the book "Pride and Prejudice"?

Austen does not focus on personification, but she does use this technique in her great novel. One of my favorite examples comes in the first page or so of the novel, when Mr. Bennett says, "You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends…"


There is a more subtle example, more representative of Austen (and Lizzy's wit) in Chapter IV: "He is also handsome,'' replied Elizabeth, "which a young man ought likewise to be, if he possibly can. His character is thereby complete.''


This makes good looks seem representative of will, which personifies it ever so gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is the main function of the fool in "King Lear"? What is the secondly function?

The fool as a character is confusing, but part of this is the difference between the 1600s and today, as well as the difference in place. If...